Monday 20 June 2011

Apple fritters or racuszki

You may not know this but I'm a Polak, born and bred. I moved out to Australia with my mum when I was a little girl. Even though I call Australia home, I still have very deep Polish roots. I still speak Polish and embrace Polish culture at every possibly opportunity.

And what better way to embrace Polish culture than with food. I could eat Polish food all day every day.

One of the dishes I remember my mum making for my brother and I when we were little was racuszki (pronounced ra-tsu-shki) or apple fritters.

Today, I introduced our 5 year old son to Polish apple fritters. He's quite the little master chef in terms of his kitchen interests. So we made them together. Needless to say, he was very impressed with the taste and asked if we could make them every day.

It's an easy recipe and makes for a nice morning or afternoon tea snack with a lovely cup of tea.

Ingredients
3-4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup flour
2 eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup milk
salt
cooking oil
icing sugar

How
Add egg yolks, a pinch of salt and olive oil to sifted flour. Pour in milk whilst mixing. Mix the batter in a blender and leave for 15 minutes covered with a towel. Whisk egg whites until stiff and gently fold them through the batter. The mixture should now be light and creamy. One at a time dip each apple slice into the batter and fry in hot cooking oil on a moderate heat until golden brown. Sprinkle with icing sugar whilst still hot (after you've removed them from the pan).

Na zdrowie (to your health)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like reading your comments, so thanks for taking the time to write something. I try to respond to each and every comment, but please be patient as I'm not always online.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...