Thursday 5 August 2010

domino effect, doubt and dilemma

It’s funny that we as humans have this natural tendency to think or feel that sometimes we are not worthy of compliments or positive attention relating to the output of something which we’ve put our heart and soul into.  This statement relates on both a professional and personal level.  We work so hard and put so much time into some things and I think that when we are so engrained and close to a project we lose sight of just how fantastic it might actually be to others.  Because it is our blood sweat and tears, our baby so to speak, we start having doubts that maybe no-one else will like what we’ve done.  Maybe they’ll even hate it.

I think that we just need to have a little faith in ourselves.  Am I speaking about myself you ask?  Yes.  I am.  But knowing that I feel like this occasionally, makes me wonder how many of you feel like this too?  Maybe you’ve put in a lot of time on a big personal project, a handmade gift for a friend or family member, a new range for your craft business, a work project which will see your efforts paraded in front of many important people on a professional level or even a business idea that you are engrossed in but don’t know if others will see value in it?

Well stop right there.  Yes, sometimes our ideas can be a little left-of-field, but I think that’s what inspires others – whether you know it or not.  Your project might inspire another person in a way you never imagined or lead them down a similar path with a very different outcome.  It’s kinda like a domino effect you know.  Our actions, opinions and words regularly impact how others think and in turn can spawn a new idea.

Pip is a fine example of this.  She is always posting about topics which get people thinking.  Her post today on effective blogging, has made me think twice about my own blog.  Pip mentioned lots of things such as be yourself, don’t be fake, talk about things that interest you, share the blogosphere love and be consistent.  I’d like to say that I tick all of the boxes except for the consistency one.  And it’s not because I don’t want to be consistent in my posting frequency, it’s that sometimes I find it impossible - ok impossible is not the right word, because nothing is impossible – I think “not achievable” is a better fit.  You know life gets in the way.   And I’m constantly admiring people such as Pip who can run a business, keep up blogging, twittering, Facebook, inspiring others, writing books, guest speaking, cooking and keeping house and still finding time to make things and spend time with family and friends.  Amazing!

Now, back to where I started.  Have faith in what you do and what you put out.  If you like it, there will be others out there who will no doubt like it too.  Everyone has different tastes and styles and it constantly amazes me to see what sells at markets and what doesn’t.  Sometimes I’ll make something that’s bordering on what I consider to be too quirky and I think to myself “I don’t know if I should put this out to sell”.  Low and behold, it’s one of the first items to sell.  Different people like different things.  There is an inevitable concentration of the trend-following consumers who like the latest trendy things.  But there are also lots of people who like unique, one-off, thought-out, quirky, handmade gifts.

I find it rather funny that I’m giving myself advice through my own blog.  Crazy lady signing out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like reading your comments, so thanks for taking the time to write something. I try to respond to each and every comment, but please be patient as I'm not always online.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...