Wednesday 21 April 2010

what I've been making

I've been a busy little bee lately keeping myself occupied with various little crafty projects.  I should be sewing more softies, but I've instead been occupying my time with random projects.

Here's a little peek at what I've been busying myself with...

My beloved and I are heading Europe in September to celebrate my 30th.  In honor of that (and that fact that I can't stop thinking about the trip) I made a travel wallet which my husband won't be embarrassed to be seen holding - unlike the store-bought one I've been using for the past couple of years - a tad girly for him!

We're off to Amsterdam, Prague, Krakow, Budapest, Munich and Paris.  So if you have any must-see or must-do tips for me - especially any fabric/craft stores or flea markets not to be missed, I'd love to hear about it!

Here's a link to the fabulously easy tute 

I've never made one before, so I thought it was about time I attempted my first quilt.  I found one of my son's old fleece blankets from when he was a baby and thought it would make a good filler for the quilt.

Now understand my method of attempting new projects.  I DON'T read tutorials.  I simply try to work it out for myself.  Then after I finish the project, I read tutorials for tips on how to better my technique.  Weird, I know.

Here's what the laid out squares look like (before sewing)
I will post pics of the finished quilt once I finish the edges.  It's all sewn together and very quilt-like, I just need to work out what I want to finish the edges with.  I have some really gorgeous crocheted-lace in mind.  Very unorthodox.  I know.

If you haven't guessed that I have a slight obsession with all things related to snail-mail, well then you haven't been reading closely enough.  A couple of months ago I posted a link to a project on upcycling envelopes.  Well I kind of forgot about that project until yesterday.  I started making a pile of envelopes using an envelope template I made a while ago for some hand-made cards.  I had a bunch of pages saved up which I save from magazines and junk mail.  They make the most amazing envelopes!

You should try making some.  You'll be doing your bit by recycling / upcycling and you'll have fun doing it.
There's more stuff, but I haven't taken photos.  I think that's enough for now.


Don't forget.  I would love to hear any of your tips for Europe craftiness delights please.  Comments.  Lots of comments.


Sand shoe.

2 comments:

  1. Love your travel wallet! I've used sewn passport covers before but they got really frustrating as I had to wriggle them out every single time so they could be inspected. A wallet that fits passport, boarding passes and other essentials is a very sensible notion! I'll have to check out the tutorial.

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennie! I have to say it was quite easy to make. The fabric cutting took longer than the actual sewing. Wish the trip was happening sooner.

    ReplyDelete

I like reading your comments, so thanks for taking the time to write something. I try to respond to each and every comment, but please be patient as I'm not always online.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...